long term support release

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sat Jan 26 18:57:36 UTC 2008

On Sat January 26 2008, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

> I think a continously-updated Fedora is the thing. I.e. no new release
> every X months, just continuous updates (including things like
> Gnome/KDE/kernel upgrades). And perhaps a (minimal) snapshot every X
> months so a fresh bootstrap isn't a PITA.

Afaik, there are sometimes changes that cannot be done within the running
system. Also the new releases are useful whenever an update of a package
requires manual intervention, because then this can be documented in the
release notes and then there are no unpleasent surprises. And the update
cycles also allow to be sure that some update-paths do not need to be
supported anymore, e.g. when a conversion of a config file is needed and the
latest release with the old config file is old enough, the code within the
spec can be skipped.

Regards,
Till