Fedora Education Spin

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jan 27 01:32:29 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:43:08 +0530
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> The other ways aren't anywhere as easy or accessible to everyone.
>> Look at the number of complaints we are getting about not releasing
>> regular CD images or that live images aren't CD size for x86_64.
>> Besides more granularity in packages is a good thing to have anyway
>> if Fedora has to retain it's goal of being a good foundation to build
>> things for OLPC or other resource constrained systems.
>
> And at the same time, hugely granular packages lead to a horrible user
> experience, where none of the software works as advertised because you
> forgot to install the 50 addon packages to get the functionality you
> wanted.

There are ways to solve this. Install them by default. Use meta
packages, comps groups. We also seem to be only mainstream RPM based
distribution not using soft dependencies.

> CD sized optical media has been obsoleted.  Some parts of the world
> just hasn't noticed yet.

It is question of what is available and affordable. The difference
between CD drives/media and DVD drives/media is still pretty high in
some regions.

Rahul