Suggestion: Use Liberation fonts as default in Firefox 3

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:49:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 8:13 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> > As you can see in [2] is that the fonts are looking just better.
>
> No we can't.
>
> I'm afraid that "looking better" is largely subjective when talking
> about fonts. In particular people exhibit a huge bias in favour of
> whatever font style they're used to. Take any decent modern font,
> force a user to use it exclusively for a month, and he'll
> systematically prefer it afterwards in tests. (hey, some people even
> ended up liking Luxi *shudder*)
>
> So the only thing you've proved is you're used to a style similar to
> Liberation Sans, probably Arial. Had you spent the time to accustom
> yourself to Fedora defaults you'd be finding Liberation Sans terrible.

Well I agree with everything except the above paragraph. I switched
over to the Liberation ones when they were announced to see how they
were.. and everytime I have switched back.. I find myself moving back
to the Liberations ones in a day or 2.

However, I realize that deep down inside this is probably a religious
choice on my part. And any advocation of what fonts would look better
without large-scale empirical evidence would not be good.