long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:35:47 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Fedora has a unique situation in this respect though. By policy RHEL
>> will not add new features in updates and since the upstream app
>> developer generally only cares about going forward, that means someone
>> has to do the work of backporting bugfixes minus features into
>> something that sort-of resembles the originally shipped app version.
>> Fedora, however is perfectly free to fix the fedora version by
>> shipping an update to the current app version, accepting the upstream
>> fix in it fully-featured form.
>
> The situation is not as black and white as you make it out to be. RHEL
> has occasionally pushed new features as updates and Fedora has done
> backports.

Agreed, but there is a general trend... And ideally, I'd like to see
alternative update repos so both could be available for everything that
could be built both ways so only the people with their own 'no new
features' policies would be stuck with the downrev versions of
applications they use.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com