Suggestion: Use Liberation fonts as default in Firefox 3

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jan 28 18:50:08 UTC 2008

Le lundi 28 janvier 2008 à 18:37 +0100, Mark a écrit :
> 2008/1/28, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> >
> > Le Lun 28 janvier 2008 15:38, Mark a écrit :

> > > As you can see in [2] is that the fonts are looking just better.
> >
> > No we can't.

> Nice analyzing but your off by far.
> first: saying : "No we can't." is a very final answer which is, at
> this moment, only yours and not said by others.

It don't need to claim [2] is worse for everyone to contradict your
statement that in [2] "the fonts are looking just better". I just need
to point one dissenting opinion to show things are not "just" so.

> With the font changing i wasn't trying to mimic a well known other
> operating system that is used by about 90% of the desktops. I was
> trying to get it back the way it was in Firefox 2 on fedora. Firefox 3
> seemed to change the fonts greatly and i wanted it back to the normal
> view of FF2.

Firefox 3 uses a cairo based renderer. It's not going to look like
Firefox 2 on any platform. This is not due to font settings changes.

> For the rest it is looking better with those Liberation fonts (i
> wonder why that isn't used throughout fedora..).

Because opinions on Liberation vary, before this month update it had
obvious flaws (and the update has its own problems), and no one really
knows what will happen to Liberation once Red Hat stops contacting
Ascender. We do ship Liberation by default on evary desktop with a
pretty high priority (2nd highest right now) so it's not like it's being
ignored.

--
Nicolas Mailhot