Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 00:02:29 UTC 2008

chasd wrote:

>> It sounds fairly horrible to me to have every single application you
>> might run that could share something set up its own file sharing service
>> and client
>
> As usual, I my idea didn't come out that well in words.
> My plan is as follows :
>
> 1)
> Configure yum to keep downloaded rpms.
> Put a file in /etc/httpd/conf.d to share the contents of
> /var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages.
> 2)
> Publish a service via mdns-avahi-Bonjour that would allow yum to
> discover packages stored on nearby machines.
> 3)
> Write a yum plugin that looks for those published services and consumes
> them instead of from an Internet source.
> An occasional "yum clean all" ( monthly cron ? ) would clear out cruft.
>
> Instead of configuring and maintaining a server to store update rpms,
> any node that has installed an update can share it with another node.

This could work on a typical home network.  In a larger office I'd
expect subneting and firewalling to block most auto-discovery mechanisms
  between a lot of machines that would still have fast internal
connections and share outbound internet traffic.  Would there still be a
way to explicitly provide the dns name or IP address of the server in
this case?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com