long term support release

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 29 03:15:49 UTC 2008

> Having had a machine up for 4+ years until I had to move it and was too
> lazy to drag along a UPS on one of its dual power supplies, I have to
> disagree.  It is nice to have services like dhcp, dns, email, etc.
> running all the time and rebooting just covers up problems like memory
> leaks that should be fixed instead of worked around.  If something isn't
> reliable, why do you want to use it at all?

You don't. You want to fix it. Regular Reboots didn't compensate for
unreliability. It made sure you didn't have to remember a process you
did once 4 years ago.

Services like dhcp, dns and email should be failover redundant. If one
particular server instance goes down the service should at WORST be
dropped by half of its capacity. In the best case it should be entirely
invisible from the user.

-sv