Suggestion: Use Liberation fonts as default in Firefox 3

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Jan 29 05:25:42 UTC 2008

On 2008/01/28 15:38 (GMT+0100) Mark apparently typed:

> I have Firefox 3 now on Fedora rawhide and i really disliked the
> default fonts so i played a little with it till i got acceptable
> results. here are a few screenshots:

> 1: [1] Default Firefox 3
> 2: [2] Firefox 3 with Liberation fonts
> 3: [3] The settings i changed

> As you can see in [2] is that the fonts are looking just better. i
> can't make anything else out of it. I've also tested this font setting
> [3] on other sites like digg.com and the fedora wiki and it looks
> better everywhere. So i really hope this could be made default for
> Fedora 9 with Firefox 3.

The Firefox 2 & 3 defaults are actually serif, sans-serif, and monospace, all
generic families that render according to the system's mapping of specific
named families to the generics. On SUSE and Mandriva, simple modifications
(placing Liberation* at the tops of the alias lists) to a file or two in
/etc/fonts/conf.avail were enough to change from the distro-specified
families to the Liberation families so that the entire desktop, including
Firefox, used them instead of DejaVu or Vera whenever generics were
specified. The same ought to work in Rawhide and F8, though as to FF3 so far
I haven't been successful trying. :-p

--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409