long term support release

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:39:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 12:08 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What process transformed mid/end life FC3 and FC6 into very stable,
> >> reliable OS's very much like the subsequent RHEL cut?  I can't be the
> >> only person who sees the difference at those points from the previous
> >> fedora versions.
> >>

> > Nothing did. EL-4 and EL-5 were cut from pre-releases of FC3 and
> > FC6... not mid/end-life versions. Fixes in final FC3/6 were pushed
> > upstream and vice versa but the 2 diverged in a yellow wood at least a
> > month before FC3 or 6 were released. So by the time  FC3 and 6 were
> > released EL-4 and EL-5 was already set in stone. You can get FC3/6
> > stuff to work on an EL-4/5 box but only to an extent.
>
> So there were no actual metrics or systematic processes used to
> transform the buggy FC2 and FC4/5 releases into the fairly usable
> FC3/FC6 versions?  That's hard to believe, and especially that it just
> happened to converge with the RHEL releases - unless it is the fixes
> from the RHEL beta process simply overwhelming the normal fedora updates

I have no idea. Those are internal processes to Red Hat. Personally I
found FC2 and EL-4 to be more stable than FC3 which was why I moved
over to EL-4 until last year.

> and forcing stability.  And as for differences between FC6 and RHEL5, I
> thought that the Centos group reported that some binaries were not even
> rebuilt from their FC6 versions.  Did I miss something there?

No you are correct about some packages not being recompiled. Some of
the final packages were FC6 final packages, but the branching of many
packages occured before FC6 was finalized. So the kernel, glibc, X,
etc were very different than say inn or xorg-x11-filesystem which has
supposedly not been recompiled ofr FC7 or FC8.