Libsoup troubles in rawhide (compat-libsoup22 needed)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 03:08:14 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 21:28 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > I'm not the maintainer of libsoup.  But I own one of the broken packages
> > (drivel).  A cursory look -- by which I mean "asking people who I'm sure
> > would know" ;-) -- tells me there's no written policy on this in the
> > wiki to which maintainers should refer.  If there truly isn't one, and
> > people feel there should be, I humbly suggest those people should
> > document the policy on the wiki in the generally accepted manner.  While
> > I personally believe in bending over backward to inform everyone about
> > these changes well in advance, a policy is less dependent on personal
> > predilections. :-)
>
> Dan really went out of his way to handle the api breakage as well as
> possible. He had patches for all affected gnome packages before even
> doing the 2.3.0 release, and he has only made the release after the
> Gnome release team strongly encouraged him to get libsoup 2.4 into
> Gnome 2.22.
>
> He has also provided a patch for libtranslate by now, and I'm sure he
> will be happy to help other package maintainers that are affected
> by this.

That's great to hear -- just in case it was unclear, please note that I
was *in no way* impugning Dan's good work.  It's Rawhide, we're only
just now at Alpha anyway, usw..  I only wanted to point out that if
someone feels differently, there are ways to handle that -- and if it's
not a policy matter, bully.

BTW, I will probably try to handle my package with the limited skills at
my disposal, but if I fall short of the mark, I'm glad to know Dan's
available for consults. :-)