Request to re-add option to disable SELinux

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Jul 2 20:46:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 16:28 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> Yeah, we're trying to make installing Fedora not be a Choose Your Own
> Linux Adventure game.

I agree (partially) with that sentiment. Though it can obviously go way
too far with the aim of making life "easier" during a 10 minute install.

> Either the SELinux policy works well enough that it is enabled by
> default and supported, or it's not.

If it were really black and white like that, then I'd have to argue for
SELinux to be disabled by default on new Fedora installs and have users
go into the system config dialog to turn it back on. After all, if
you're going to use the following argument:

> Besides, the option already exists - you can system-config-selinux
> after installing.

Then consider, those who know what SELinux is are more likely to know
about that dialog, and therefore more likely to turn it on. If you don't
like that, then I suggest giving thought to re-instating the option :)

Jon.