Request to re-add option to disable SELinux

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Jul 2 21:57:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 17:48 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> 1) you are not the average user, your experience is biased and your
> usage patterns are not standard

I agree I'm not a "typical user", however some of the things I've had
problems with are being used by typical users - I'm deliberately trying
to avoid examples of copying configuration files and the like :)

> Take your time, learn what SELinux is and help back to make it better my
> providing changes relative to packages you  own or you use most. This
> will be abetter use of your time.

I'm all for helping to find and fix policy issues - why do you think I
left it enabled :) I've followed SELinux on and off for about a decade,
though this is the first time I've tried enforcing on a "desktop" box.
And I feel that my previous reasoning for turning it off on my desktops
and laptops is once again justified...unfortunately.

> I wonder if windows developers had the same attitude toward NTFS ACLs
> when Microsoft started transitioning them from FAT ... I think us Linux
> devs can handle SELinux, conceptually and practically.

That's a lousy example. I use Linux ACLs and have done since long before
they were upstream and in stock vendor kernels - ACLs are great, and
we're not shipping a complex default set of ACLs anyway :)

Let's compare apples and apples :)

Jon.