kernel build failures.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 6 22:32:06 UTC 2008

Dave Jones writes:

> + make mandocs
>   DOCPROC Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml
>   MAN     Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.9
> xmlto: input does not validate (status 3)
> /builddir/build/BUILD/kernel-2.6.25/linux-2.6.25.noarch/Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
> 	"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" []>
> 	                                                              ^
> warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
> validity error : Could not load the external subset "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd"
> Document /builddir/build/BUILD/kernel-2.6.25/linux-2.6.25.noarch/Documentation/DocBook/wanbook.xml does not validate
>

> I believe what's happening here is that the builders don't have access to the internet,
> so it's failing to download the DTD.

I do not believe that this is the problem. It looks like xmlto always
invokes xsltproc with the --nonet parameter, and xsltproc was always able to
load the locally-installed Docbook DTDS, just fine.

A brief look reveals that this looks like a recent breakage between the
xml-common and docbook-dtds rpms.

When the docbook-dtds rpm gets installed, it adds all the Docbook DTDs to
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog, in its %post script.

Unfortunately, an update to xml-common was pushed out last week, which
reinstalled a completely empty /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog file.

* Splat *