Proposed SIG: Windows MinGW cross-compiler SIG

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 22:14:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 03:53:14PM -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >I would like to propose a new SIG for Fedora:
> >
> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/MinGW
> >
> >The mission is to provide a MinGW-based cross-compiler and some common
> >libraries so that Fedora users will be able to cross-compile software
> >targeting Windows.  The aim will be that, just using a Fedora host and
> >completely free software, you will be able to produce Windows *.DLLs
> >and *.EXEs.
>
> Any particular reason to go with MinGW rather than Cygwin?  Is there
> room for both in the SIG?

For libvirt the show stopper is licensing. CYGWIN1.DLL is intentionally
under the GPL and all Cygwin programs must link to it. libvirt is under
the LGPL because we want to enable the widest possible use by open
and closed source programs. Having the library GPL-only on Windows isn't
desirable.

Daniel