InstantMirror Redesign / current best /simplest way to achieve

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:16:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 23:08 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> A long, long time ago, Kulbir Saini wrote:
> >          Thank a lot for noting down all those points. They helped me to have
> > a more clear idea of InstantMirror. And thanks for the encouragement
> > as well :)
>
> Hi, wondering what is considered _the_ current approach for making an
> internal Fedora proxy mirror ?
> Does the MirrorManager 0.4 code actually work, eg for 5 PC's ?
>
> Did something else {other than full rsync mirroring} emerge to solve
> this type of problem ?
>
> I was wondering if an automated way to get the clients to use the proxy
> / cache would by to implement dns entries for the real yum server names,
> that point to your internal ~mirror server; and hence bypass requiring
> individual machine proxy setup ?
>
> Regards, DaveT.

Even with all it's weeknesses InstantMirror could be used with
MirrorManager to do transparent caching/mirroring...
Take a system with enough HDD space, install instantmirror,
go to mirror manager admin page, create a new site, add your ips, and
the mirror.
The get the mirror reporting script and make it run with cron :)
It isn't perfect but it's much berrer than nothing