InstantMirror Redesign / current best /simplest way to achieve

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 15:48:41 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> I wanted to try InstantMirror, but was in a rush. I just used a basic
> squid setup.
>
> Are their any advantages of using it as a reverse mirror vs. regular
> squid usage?

Regular squid wont be able to effectively cache if MirrorManager is
telling you to use random mirrors.  If you use MirrorManager you could
receive the same local (reverse proxy) mirror as the first mirror every
time if yum is used from your network block.

refresh_pattern repodata/.*$    0       0%      0
refresh_pattern .*rpm$    0     0%      0

Also with any squid.conf you will need these lines in order to guarantee
that your repodata and RPMS stay consistent with your upstream source.
This is because proxies do not handle data changing without changing the
filename.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com