Fedora, meet OLPC. OLPC, meet Fedora.

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jul 9 05:11:34 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> >> These packages are either unavailable in Fedora, or are currently being
> >> maintained, poorly, by overworked OLPC engineers who can't invest enough
> >> time to do them justice. There are lots of simple issues that even
> >> novice packagers could handle. Missing or broken dependencies. Creation
> >> of dead-simple activity packages. And so on.
> >
> > I think we need an overriding goal.  Can we get a Fedora Sugar Desktop
> > Spin for standard pc hardware on the map and a SIG organized around
> > that effort? Would that put the right people together in the same
> > headspace to start working on packaging activities?
>
> Dumb question:
>
> Can someone running vanilla Fedora (8/9/etc.) without any physical
> access to the XO hardware maintain/use OLPC packages?
Yes,

there is only a tiny handful of packages that are specific to the
hardware/setup of the XO. the rest should always be applicable for use outside
of the XO,  sugar is in F-9 there is still some kinks in regards to the
packaging that needs fixed. but if it doesnt work right on a normal fedora
desktop its a bug and needs fixing.

--
Dennis Gilmore