Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 15:43:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Doug Ledford wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:51 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> At long last, we are about to get a brand new RPM version (alpha snapshot
>> at the moment) into rawhide. The list of changes from 4.4.2.x is massive
>> and a full summary needs a separate posting (will follow as time permits),
>> this is just a heads-up of immediate consequences for Fedora packagers and
>> rawhide consumers:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> This is great and all, but my first reaction was "Oh hell...what a
> colossal waste of time" referring to the fact that I've spent the last
> week or so pouring over rpm source code trying to see exactly what's
> needed to implement some things.

You could've just asked :)

> So, that being said, if we are going to make this change in Fedora,
> especially one that involves all this "backup for rpmdb, rebuild your
> rpmdb, feed your rpmdb cake" stuff, can we make it a flag day and add a
> few new fields to the rpmdb schema and bump the rpmdb version?

What schema? :) The rpmdb isn't exactly like your average SQL database...
What exactly do you want there?

This is already a flag day of sorts, it's by far the biggest update to rpm
in several years. We don't need any more excitement right now, we want to
get a new non-4.4.x rpm in an settled. Then we can start looking at new
stuff again...

 	- Panu -