Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 20:09:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:31:07 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

> First, before I respond to the rest of this, keep in mind that the
> "overwhelming majority" of packages needs to be quantified.
> Furthermore, at least one very significant package (the kernel) does not
> massage files at all between SCM tag and tarball.  And to be honest, I
> would be very surprised to find many projects that do have any
> significant difference between a tagged release in the SCM of their
> choice and their tarballs.  So I would like some examples please, which
> shouldn't be hard to come up with since it is the "overwhelming
> majority" of projects that obviously think when they tag something in
> their SCM it doesn't need to match the tarball they make with the same
> tag version...

Audacity is one example. They even include stuff in their cvs which would
be illegal for Fedora to distribute. On the contrary, their tarballs are
customised and stripped down to whatever they choose to ship. For other
projects one cannot build from a scm checkout without running scripts,
such as autogen.sh where one would need to reproduce the upstream
development env.