Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:28:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as the old method continues to work, what's the problem with adding
> a way to improve it going forward?

Yes, clearly there will need to keep something similar to the "old
method" around for dealing with tarball releases while this new
process moves forward.  If we make the change, we'll have to support
both ways of doing it, and track the update on the new process on a
package by package basis.

My largest concern continues to be source distribution. If we have to
support both models of packaging source control then I'm not sure what
our source distribution ends up looking like. Is it a mix of exploded
branches and srpms?

I'd also need to get an idea of what our local patchsets would look
like in the new cloned vcs packaging. I've had people tell me that
they very much prefer the style of different patch files as shipped in
our srpm delineated based on purpose and not necessarily a single
merged patch file that includes multiple changes. We are starting to
see the single patch files which are multiple patches merged into a
single patch  and I've had someone complain specifically about it
being more difficult to understand.

The point being, some of our users do make use of the sources as
provided in the SRPM. If we move away from that we'll need to
re-educate those users on how to to use the new source approach to do
things like back out a specific patch that was included for a specific
purpose.

-jef