No answer to easy bug policy

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 12:12:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 13:53 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> It still may need some kind of emergency team (or rel-eng) to jump in
> under certain circumstances. Imagine, one of your packages fails to start
> because a library update reveals a crasher bug in the application. Do we
> want to keep it broken for 4+ weeks and only then start a process on
> finding out why you don't respond?

not at all.  I think those are the occasions where somebody should step
in.

Perhaps when new maintainer containment goes live (as early as next
week!) maintainers will feel more comfortable allowing access to
'uperpackager' people, and thus be welcome to people fixing things for
them, and we won't have to sit on our hands for 4 weeks waiting for the
erstwhile maintainer to ping back.

Also what would really help this situation is if we did have automated
tests that ran and could verify that the fix didn't regress anything,
but that's a more far off solution.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!