Fedora Spins and "where will this end?"

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Tue Jul 15 21:05:57 UTC 2008

Sebastian Dziallas schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> as you may have noticed, there has been a kind of discussion concerning
> the future spins for F10 (and later) on this list. I was just drawing up
> some statements for a possible Fedora EDU Math Spin [1] (note: this is
> just a draft for now), but I think there are some points, which should
> be mentioned.
>
> The question I would like to ask is: "Where will all this lead to?"
>
> I need to explain some things:
>
> I created some time ago this roadmap [2] for the education SIG. In one
> of our first meetings, we decided to focus first on applications for
> mathematical purposes - that's how the idea of this EDU Math spin was
> born. On the other hand, I'm aware of the fact (due to some discussions
> I had with Warren at the beginning) that there are others, who're
> building as well spins: Warren announced a K12LTSP spin including his
> LTSP5-work [3], even if I don't know, how the current state is there [4].
>
> So far so good, but what else do we have? The Astronomy SIG is preparing
> an astronomy spin, too [5]. And I would bet that there'll be an OLPC (or
> more specific: a sugar-based) spin more than soon [6] - this has also
> already been mentioned three month ago in one of the education SIG's
> meetings [7].
>
> But then, have we already covered all possible topics - even if we stick
> with the educational purposes for now? I tend to say no! There might be
> still some place for an Fedora Education Language Spin (hey, why don't
> why split this one up? - Fedora Education Language English and Fedora
> Education Language German spin are awaiting their maintainers!)...
>
> Sorry, this might somehow sound inappropriate, but that is just the way
> it is. Don't get me wrong - I'm even myself a member of the Spin SIG and
> I applaud everyone's efforts to make use of this innovative technology -
> and I'm not going to blame anyone for his/her work, but still: I think
> it's obvious that we're going to run into trouble that way...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Sebastian
>
> ---
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Education
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Roadmap
> [3]
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-February/msg00888.html
>
> [4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/K12Linux
> [5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Astronomy/Spin
> [6]
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-July/msg00926.html
> [7] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education/Meetings/2008-05-09

(Yeah, I know, somewhat odd to reply to myself, but there's something to
add)

By the way: I think, the question is also: Who is going to use all these
spins? Is the average user downloading three different education spins?
Or isn't he just moving to another distribution with an all-in-one solution?

We had such a discussion in one of the education SIG meetings...
somebody predicted teachers asking their students to insert spin 17B for
the current lesson.

...just my two cents ;)

Sebastian