Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:13:27 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> What's your definition of "publicly"? KDE's definition of a public release is
> when the tarballs are synced to official KDE mirrors. But we packagers get
> access to the tarballs a few days earlier, and of course the releases are
> tagged in SVN before the first tarballs are produced. Any respins happen in the
> time period when the tarballs are available to us packagers, but not the
> general public (in principle...

Svn doesn't force different handling for trunk/branches/tags but the
usual convention is that you mostly expect to be working on a changing
head revision in the trunk/branches trees and normally wouldn't specify
a revision number, but the copies in tags (by convention only) never
have additional commits and exist only to give an arbitrary name to a
frozen version without having to deal with the repository revision
number.  If you are committing to something called a tag in svn, it is
at best unexpected behavior.  A more typical process would be to have
created a pre-release branch for the final work and to make tag copies
with unique names for any snapshots that you want to be able to
reproduce later, including your final release.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com