Pungi with x86_64 packages only

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Sun Jul 20 08:26:24 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 00:22 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> maybe related question:
>>
>> I'm using pungi for selective mirroring, by listing the packages and
>> package groups I wanna have in the kickstart file and then running the
>> gather and createrepo stages.  Works quite well, except that there
>> seems
>>  to be no way to mirror x86_64 packages on a i386 machine ...
>>
>> any hints how that can be done?
>
> You probably want to be using a different tool for that, since pungi
> won't allow you to gather / compose x86_64 on an i386 system.

Is there any reason for that restriction?  As I understand it only the
BuildInstall stage must run on the architecture (and distro) it is
composing due to running anaconda tools.

Suggestions for alternatives?  The pungi features I like most are
  (1) easy way to select the packages (and groups!) I want to mirror.
  (2) the (global) package cache.

the package is especially useful when mirroring both i386 and x86_64
versions of a distro, as the i386 packages which are also part of the
x86_64 version don't get downloaded twice.  It also saves downloads when
creating a new repo where you have alot of the packages already on your
disk (happens if you track rawhide and some day create a f10 repo).

thanks,
  Gerd

--
http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/