Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:22:23 UTC 2008

2008/7/22 Tim Jackson <lists at timj.co.uk>:

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>  We have several options for the Fedora 10 codename, and you get to help
>> decide which we use!
>>

> Please may we have an additional option "None"?
>
> I cannot see any useful purpose for this other than to make
> non-technical or new users wonder why we have two names for one piece of
> software, one of which nobody uses and doesn't appear to bear any
> resemblance to anything other than some bad, cliquey in-joke.
>
> Fortunately we don't use it *quite* as prominently as some other Linux
> distributions (why on earth would I want to admit to someone that I use
> an operating system called "potato"?) but these names still make me cringe.

When Werewolf came out the name was used prominently in almost every review
I read. It seems people like the name in general, just look at Ubuntu,
officially they are numbered releases but everyone uses the names. It's a
good PR move and it gives our releases a little bit of personality. I, for
one, would proudly announce thatI used Potato if it was a Fedora release.