Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 21:12:29 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

> That'd be correct, though. B/c we don't care if you don't want a name.
> We care about having a name for the distro.

Phew, that's me told then. Never again will I have the temerity to
question anything. Plus, of course "Fedora 10" isn't a name and thus can't
possibly be considered as the canonical name for the tenth release of some
software called "Fedora".

I don't expect for a moment that everyone agrees with me that these
codenames are unfunny and embarrassing, but how do you know for sure that
"We" want a name if nobody can vote against it? (Or am I excluded from the
"We" for daring to suggest something other than what "we've always done"?)

(You may well be right. Maybe the Fedora "We" really does want a hilarious
name, perhaps overwhelmingly so. In which case I'll accept that with good
grace, and agree to disagree. But I didn't think one "INSERT INTO..." to
find out was asking a lot, really...)

Tim