Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 21:30:29 UTC 2008

David Nielsen wrote:

> When Werewolf came out the name was used prominently in almost every
> review I read.

Right, so some of the time people call it "Fedora X" and some of the time
people call it "Sillyname" (or maybe "Fedora Sillyname"). And that's a
good thing for helping people (especially new users) to understand what
we're about, which releases are which and in what order they come?

> just look at Ubuntu, officially they are numbered releases but everyone uses the
> names.

Yes, and put off potential new users like me who find the whole thing very
cliquey and unfriendly because they're interested in doing something
useful with their computer, not trying to remember that Potato is newer
than Carrot, but older than Turnip. Or work out that an upgrade from
Radish to Cucumber might be possible but awkward due to the 3-release gap,
whilst Parsnip is now unsupported, Ginger is a beta release and Onion is
actually a vegetable, not an operating system.

 > I, for one, would proudly announce that I used Potato if it was a Fedora
 > release.

I'd rather eat the entire CD respin, disc by disc.

Tim