Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 23:02:59 UTC 2008

José Matos wrote:

> Different culture means different habits, what is wrong with that?

Nothing at all; each to their own. But it wouldn't be the first time I've
had to explain to a new user who is already dubious about Fedora and
suspicious that this Linux thing is some sort of cryptic geeky nonsense
why there is a weird obscure name used interchangeably with the more
recognisable and user-understandable one. The name by which you distribute
a piece of software may be completely unrelated to its merits from the
point of view of you or I, but it *is* on the front line of users'
awareness of it, and I'd rather Fedora had a reputation for welcoming and
encouraging new users, not confusing them :-)

I get (no, really) that it's "just a bit of fun" and rather low down the
importance scale of world issues, but it *does* raise questions from those
new to Fedora, we *did* just get asked for opinions and I'm only asking
people to consider the appearance and appeal to users outside the regular
Fedora/Linux community. I'm not trying to eat anyone's babies here, nor
personally insult anyone who is deeply attached to codenames...

Anyway, I've used enough bytes making the point for the first and only
time since I started with RHL-5 (and I've thought the same since then), so
I'll leave everyone to ponder, support or ridicule as they see fit,
although it would be nice if people kept an open mind and sense of
proportion and humour whilst doing any or all of the above :-)

Tim