A PackageKit browser plugin

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 19:20:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:01 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Sure looks interesting, mayber we could integrate it with the Fedora
> > packageDB?
>
> Do you mean integrating it with our web interface for the packagedb?

Basic idea is that the Application Browsing web app feeds off the
packagedb to get information about available package versions and to
get a first cut at applications which are human-edited and pruned.
(Applications are approximately desktop files, but not quite.)

Then the Application Browsing Web App uses the package names (which it
knows about from the packagedb) when generating the code to embed
the plugin.

But the actual display in the plugin is coming from yum via PackageKit,
since that's what determines what the user can install at the moment,
even if something newer is in packagedb.

> I think everything Owen mentioned with regard to the website interface
> he's been working on should be considered for integration with our
> packagedb.  If for examples users are commenting through the new
> website interface on a package that I maintain.... shouldn't I have a
> way to review those comments or in the case of negative comments turn
> them into bug tickets?  I'm not sure I understand what Owen is working
> on and how its going to help contributors interface with users better.

The basic idea is that:

 - Browsing and installing can be done anonymously
 - Some operations are available to any registered FAS user
   (comment/rate/upload screenshots)
 - Some operations are restricted to owner of the package that
   corresponds to the application (edit the description, perhaps)

Email notifications to package owners when comments are made is almost
certainly a desirable feature. Catch me or robin on IRC if you want to
discuss things in more detail.

- Owen