Slight change in how cvs notifications work

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:43:19 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:11:11 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> There is one major difference (besides speed) to note in this:  Before,
>> the owner and people in the watchcommits acls received notifications
>> that a cvs commit was made to a package.  Now the owner and people
>> onwatchcommits and watchbugzilla acls are notified.
>
> So, the separate watchbugzilla now implies watchcommits? Why that change?

Possibly oversight or possibly removing a wart.  Here was my reasoning:

We have a lot of things that want to send notification when a change
occurs to a package.  This includes:

bugzilla
pkgdb (acl changes)
cvs commits
bodhi
koji
various reports:
   broken deps, broken upgrade, fails to rebuild, etc

When the packageDB started I wasn't envisioning all of those uses and
the list of notifications is only growing over time.  So what should we
do?  We can add more watch* acls to the db and the interface.  Or we can
glom onto existing acls -- but if I want to get reports from bodhi, do I
need to sign up for watchcommits or watchbugzilla?  Or does it depend on
the commit acl?

Looking at this problem I didn't see any difference between bugzilla,
cvs, and bodhi, or koji.  So pruning the list of watch* acls with the
goal of consolidating on a single acl for notification seems to make sense.

OTOH, I haven't done any coding towards this in the core of pkgdb, just
made the new notifylist give out the list of usernames in owner,
watchcommit, watchbugzilla.  If you could come up with criteria to use
to determine what makes a good watch* acl (or revamping the system even
further), we can make changes.  With a list of what is suitable for
having its own watch* acl we could have multiple aliases that match up
with the acls that meet those criteria.

-Toshio