livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 28 14:33:51 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> Your cc to the livecd list are not appearing there, are you
subscribed?

> No - I thought it was an open list. I'll sub...

So did I....

>> Think the issue is going to be how the kernel modules differ from
>> version 3.2 and 3.3 of squashfs-tools.
>>
>> So lets get this clear, F7 is using the 2.6.23.?? and does not boot,
>> F8 is now booting correctly? with which kernel?
>
> Correct. This is with 2.6.23.1-21.fc7
>
>> Think the only way you'll get this to fly is to get the source for
>> squashfs-tools3.3  http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/dl/squashfs3.3.tar.gz
>> and patch your 2.6.23 kernel and recompile the module and replace the
>> module in the initrd.
>
> Thanks for pointing me to lzma. So the squashfs 3.3 on F9 is patched
> to have lzma support? Good to know... after a bit of investigation, it
> turns out that between 3.2 and 3.3 the squashfs project took the lzma
> pactches, and forgot to mention it in the changelog. How misterious
> and cute :-/

Hold it, lzma is not part of Fedora's squash support, but could be
patched it. The link just has all the steps the are needed to patch a
kernel, then recompile the kernel's modules. Just happens to be squashfs
as the example. ;-) There is something "cute" between 3.2 and 3.3
thou...

> After a bit of testing, squashfs-3.2 on F9 produces a squashfs I can
> mount on F7.
>
> But the image still does not boot. Something else in the initrd must
> be messing up.

What is the message now?

Jerry