Calling on Fedora/RedHat ML managers to clean up Fedora-list.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:27:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk> wrote:
> Do you have a link to the documentation for how to do the creation
> request, the criteria and supporting docs required for it to be
> granted and what would be required to point new users at this new list
> for the location to go for technical help from users of Fedora,
> i.e. changing the wiki/website to point at the new list?

No I have no specific link, because I have never needed to create a
list.  Surely its not different than creating a SIG list.

> The way I read your response - you are stating that fedora-list is the
> "everything and the kitchen sink" list, and I believe that is a bit
> broad to point users at that need help or support.

I am saying, that I require that people asking for new lists care
about the subject matter of the new list and are going to be active
participants and can be counted on to craft a productive list culture
in the new list.  The people currently having the noisy discussion in
fedora-list could make a request for a fedora-policy-debate-list and
I'd have a much easier time following up on that request, because it
would be coming from the people who want to use the list.   If the
people currently in the discussion are having it in fedora-list
because its the most subscribed list and are doing it there
specifically to increase the changes of having a lot of people see
their opinions... creating a separate list won't solve the trolling
problem.

The issue of it being on-topic or off-topic for fedora-list is
orthogonal to whether we should create separate list for the
discussion.  Someone who actually wants to use the dedicated list
should be making the request.

-jef