livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Phillip Lougher phillip at lougher.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 00:12:19 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Well, the squashfs3.3 tarballs from the SF page and from the
> squashfs-lzma site are identical, and the credits page in both mention
> 'lzma patches', though no word of it appears in CHANGES or README. My
> interpretation is that v3.3 incorporates the patches.

Just to clear up any confusion, v3.3 from sourceforge doesn't incorporate the
LZMA patches.  The squashfs3.3 tarballs from sourceforge and squashfs-lzma.org
are identical because the tarball on squashfs-lzma is taken unchanged from
sourceforge, there's additional patches on squashfs-lzma.org which add LZMA
support.  Obviously the CHANGES and README files don't mention LZMA because v3.3
doesn't use it, the credits file (ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS file) simply acknowledges the
work that squashfs-lzma.org has done in providing third-party LZMA support for
those that want it (I don't officially support LZMA compression in Squashfs
because it is not yet officially supported in the vanilla Linux kernel).

> >> But the image still does not boot. Something else in the initrd must
> >> be messing up.
> >
> > What is the message now?
>
> We no longer see any errors, but init cannot find root, so itdrops me
> to an emergency shell. In there I find nothing interesting in /dev .
> Not even loop devices.

Failing to find root may be because you're still not generating a Squashfs v3.2
compatible filesystem.  The patch you mention elsewhere which adds '-no-sparse'
to mksquashfs, also adds '-b 131072' which will still generate an incompatible
filesystem, the block size must be 64K or less - the patch should be adding
'-no-sparse -b 64k'.

If you see the following error message after the initrd tries to mount root, you
still have an incompatible filesystem.

SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, trying to mount newer 3.1 filesystem
SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel

The filesystem should be version '3.0', you can use file or unsquashfs -stat on
the Squashfs filesystem to check the version.

Phillip