Fedora 9 Cell processor packages

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Tue Jun 3 14:04:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:36:05PM +0100, A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk wrote:
> I???m building a toolchain for the Cell processor. This is the processor
> found in the PS3 and IBM blade servers. Others have built the toolchain
> before notably IBM, the Barcelona Supercomputing group and YellowDog
> Linux. However, these sets of packages do not move at the speed that
> Fedora does. They are currently GCC 4.1 based whereas Fedora 9 includes
> GCC 4.3. Furthermore, the other implementations of a Cell toolchain do
> not include the Fedora patches to GCC and binutils. Thus my packages are
> closer to the Fedora packages than the IBM ones. This makes maintenance
> and debugging easier from the system integrators point of view (i.e. my
> point of view).
>
> This toolchain is also part of my evil plan to replace Mesa on the Cell
> architecture with Gallium3d. Gallium3d is an implementation of OpenGL
> (amongst other things) using the Cell SPUs. This will allow developers
> to develop OpenGL applications on PS3 Linux.

I'm not sure if Gallium3d is "replacing" Mesa..

>From http://www.mesa3d.org/

"Gallium3D is the codename for the new Mesa device driver architecture which
is currently under development."

http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki/index.php/Gallium3D

"Gallium3D is Tungsten Graphics' new architecture for building 3D graphics
drivers. Initially supporting Mesa and Linux graphics drivers, Gallium3D is
designed to allow portability to all major operating systems and graphics
interfaces. "

So if I understood everything correctly you still use Mesa (as a OpenGL
library) but behind the scenes Mesa is using Gallium3d drivers..

-- Pasi