rpmreaper

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 01:22:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Michael Wiktowy
<michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could argue about the utility of such a tool and what programming
> language/libraries it uses (and I would agree with you for what its
> worth) but is that really relevant to reviewing it for acceptance into
> Extras?
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines doesn't say
> anything about not reinventing the wheel and if it did we wouldn't
> have a lot of things people feel pretty passionately about (redundant
> desktop environments, search tools, editors ... you name the flamewar)
> and Fedora would be a pretty stagnant distro.

We have yet to come to a point where we make a requirement on value.

I would however state that I would very much like to see this tool
have its own upstream project space hosted somewhere, with a clear
upstream source release, that could be used beyond Fedora.  I don't
need to see Suse packages..but if this is meant to be a generally
useful tool for rpm distributions..it should be handled that way as an
upstream project.  If this is meant to be Fedora specific, well then I
think we might have a stronger case to be made that Fedora specific
tools should integrate well with the existing direction.

Having a package hosted out of fedora people is probably not a good
idea.  In fact its probably something we should forbid.    There's a
big difference between setting up a project at fedora hosted and
throwing up a tarball on your fedora people space.

-jef