Plan for tomorrows (20080605) FESCO meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:28:37 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:

> I have a topic.  Casey Dahlin has been doing some good work on making
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/NewMaintainerContainment a
> reality.  We're very close.  One decision that I'd like to see discussed
> is what we use to prime the membership of the as of yet to be named
> elevated rights group.  One suggestion has been to grandfather all of
> current cvsextras into said group, however I think this would make the
> later initiative
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/PackageACLOpening less
> successful.  Instead I suggest priming the group with current sponsors,
> and allow any existing sponsor to promote the people they sponsor into
> the elevated group.  I'm also open to further ideals or discussions on
> this.

Just a note: FAS has no way to enforce that a sponsor in Group A is the
person who adds someone to Group B.  So if this policy were to start off
with sponsors from cvsextras, I'd rather that the sponsors could sponsor
anyone for the new group (not just people they sponsored in cvsextras).

I think this also maps better to the way we currently think of sponsors:
they're people who are considered more knowledgable and capable of
guiding other packagers' growth.  They should be able to promote any
other contributor not just people they've shown an interest in in the past.

> I realize this is rather late notice and doesn't give a lot of time for
> discussion on this list, however Casey has been getting things done
> quicker than expected, which is a great thing.

Yeah, Casey is doing some great work this summer.

-Toshio