Orphaned packages not! (splat, gpsman, nec2c)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 15:38:30 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:16:42AM -0500, Steve Conklin wrote:
>> It was an accident, and I have no hard feelings toward anyone over this,
>> but I'm not happy that the package ownership process (or lack of one)
>> allowed this to happen so easily.
>
> The policy here is the non responsive maintainer policy. Otherwise the
> primary maintainer should not be changed. However the redhat folks don't
> seem to follow this procedure and instead it seems that change in package
> maintainers owned by people @redhat is done by other procedures,
> including with more sharing of responsibility over package among groups.
>
> I am not sure that there is something that can be done in fedora about
> that issue. Maybe the exception should be written down explicitly such
> that people like you who is at redhat and in the community knows who
> to contact @redhat to follow the fedora rules.

Maybe what could be done is to mark packages a person as maintaining a
package as part of Red Hat employment (or employment in general) then it
would be simpler to say no longer working for Company Foo, therefore no
longer a maintainer of Package Bar.

However, even that's not perfect as other people will leave and maintain
packages they were paid to work on as part of the greater community.

-Toshio