Packaging question: /usr/share/gnome/help ownership

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:09:08 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> Err... the last time this came up it was successfully argued that having
>> "Help" fail to work was a bug.  The initial idea was to have something
>> within the GNOME stack require yelp but I believe that failed because of
>> circular dependencies.
>>
>> So if this will cause problems because of system-config-* dragging in
>> xulrunner we need to come up with some other way of solving the
>> help-won't-display bug.
>
> IMHO it is not a bug, help is an optional feature, and we have tight size
> constraints on the live images.
>
> We also faced a similar issue with KDE 3 apps dragging in all the KDE 4 stack
> because khelpcenter is now from KDE 4, there too (even though this probably
> doesn't affect any of the live images) we decided to not put a dependency in
> and to simply have help in KDE 3 apps only work if the KDE 4 kdebase-runtime is
> installed (which will always be the case in a KDE installation anyway).

Giving a newbie a linux live cd to try without having help files is far
from ideal.  Ways to solve the problem are appreciated.  Reasons why you
consider it an optional feature rather than an integral part of the user
experience will be listened to and either argued with or create
converts.  Merely claiming size constraints is not likely to create
change -- the x86_64 spins of both the live Desktop and live KDE spins
are both larger than a CD already.

-Toshio