Requirements gathering for new package source control

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 21:30:19 UTC 2008

These are good, albeit a bit lengthy.  Lets see what we can do here.

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 23:12 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> I would like to have a way so easily track patches against the cvs state of a
> package with the possibility to do private commits and an easy way to merge
> them to the official branch or show them others in a way that they can easily
> merge them. This would make co-maintaining packages a lot easier imho.

I think I know what you're talking about here, but I want to clarify.
You get a copy of the "upstream" frob module.  You then do some local
changes and even local commits against frob.  You can query upstream
"frob" to see if anything changed upstream and integrate those into your
copy.  Eventually you take your local changes and push them 'upstream',
right?

> Also it should not take that long to to get a diff like it does with cvs.

This is a nice easy concise one, and should fall under the 'offline use'
case, but I'll spell it out explicitly.

> It would be also helpful, if it was possible to checkout only the active
> branches of a package instead and when this would be the default beheaviour
> when one checks out a package. Maybe this could be achieved with an "active"
> and an "archive" branch of /rpms/<package> for each package in some scms. The
> active branch would currently only include F-{7,8,9} EL-{4,5} and devel.

Good suggestion!  I'll add it into the lists, maybe a bit more terse.

> Another thing that comes to my mind, would be an easy way to merge changes
> from devel to the F-? branches. E.g. the scm could track when one merged from
> devel to F-9 the last time and make it possible to merge these changes to the
> F-9 branch easily, even when the F-9 branch contains changes that are not in
> devel.

Ok, I think I follow that.

--
Jesse Keating