Requirements gathering for new package source control

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Jun 10 03:39:46 UTC 2008

> In addition, the decentralized model introduces an additional source of errors:
> not only can you forget to commit, but you can also forget to push what you
> committed.

On the contrary. With git I can commit all I want in the train
without internet connectivity, and when my laptop gets back online
it can *automatically* push to the central repository (eg via some
NetworkManager controllerd 'ppp-up like script) And at the central
repository, git hooks can trigger building, testing, packaging, etc.

It can tag in the repository when the build succeeds, and a simple
git fetch on the clients can tell me about the build status without
needing to go to some website and interacting with ajax.

Paul