Let's make a plan for python3.0 in Fedora 10+

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:55:34 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-06-09, 16:56 GMT, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> 1) Fedora 10 ships with the latest python-2.5.x.
>> 2) The Fedora 11 development tree switches to python-2.6.x soon after=20
>> F10 is released.
>
> Well, aren't we early enough in the F10 Rawhide to do it now
> instead of waiting six months?

It's Geppetto's call but one drawback of switching now is it could mean
shipping a non-release python-2.6 in F10 if the python release date
slips.  Here's python.org's schedule:

     Aug 06 2008: Python 2.6rc1 and 3.0rc1 planned
     Aug 20 2008: Python 2.6rc2 and 3.0rc2 planned
     Sep 03 2008: Python 2.6 and 3.0 final

Here's our tentative schedule:
     Aug 19 2008: Feature Freeze
     Sep 30 2008: Final devel freeze
     Oct 10 2008: Preview release
     Oct 28 2008: Final release

Another drawback is that since we have so many programs that we code
which are dependent on python, this would mean we'd have less time to
test that yum or anaconda, for instance, worked with all the new python
code before the release.  ie: More moving parts later in the cycle.

The pro sides would be:
1) We could include code that is written to run on 3.x/2.6's 3.x compat
layer.  (I haven't run across any code that only targets 3.x yet.)

2) We and our users can get started on ports of code and experimenting
with 3.x/2.6 features sooner.  (Not sure how helpful this is for us as
we're not likely to want to port until, at least, the py-2.6 release
candidate (otherwise something could still change on us.)  For users, it
does mean that they'll be able to use F10 as a base for porting their apps.)

-Toshio