PackageKit UI

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Thu Jun 12 13:41:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 02:22:17PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 15:09 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09:10PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Comments/suggestions welcome,
> >
> > What are your use cases?  Do you have any?
>
> Lots, see www.packagekit.org.

I may be a tad dense, but I can't find them there.

> > How do you handle the use case "I need something to type a letter,
> > what can I install for that, what are my choices?".
> > How do you handle the use case "I want my desktop to look cooler, what
> > can I add?".
> > How do you handle the use case "I need some free space, what can I
> > remove?".
>
> We are prototyping something web-based for this sort of thing. We'll be
> announcing stuff soon (if it works), I promise.

Good.  Then, what is your interface for, other than placating those
who think they can't survive if they can't point and drool and
consider that typing "yum install stuff" is way too complex?

> > What information does the opened/closed box icon give, apart from "we
> > have good graphists"?
>
> Open = installed, closed = not installed. The icons also change if you
> select them to be added or removed.

That's, errr, non-obvious.  At all.  I don't see how an icon can
convey that kind of thing in an obvious way, to be honest.  A
word+color code combination would probably be better.  And you
probably need to have filters like "show installed", "show updates",
etc directly clickable in the window instead of tucked in a menu.
Color the appropriate words in the filter name with the same color
than the indicator in the array and you're probably golden.

> > Why do you present multiple versions of the same thing (compiz-gnome
> > in your screenshot), especially as is they were different?
>
> Ahh, it shows there is an update available. Maybe we need to expose this
> clearer.

Ohhhh yes you do.

  OG.