automating updates

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jun 16 09:12:16 UTC 2008

Thomas Moschny wrote:
> 2008/6/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
>> Am Sonntag, den 15.06.2008, 23:04 +0200 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:
>>> Hmm... although I'm not much of a packager nor a frequent user of the
>>> CVS system:
>>>
>>> common/cvs-import.sh -b devel -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
>>> common/cvs-import.sh -b F-9 -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
>> Jeroen, please don't do that. We had this discussion back in Feb 2007
>> on the maintainers list, please search for the thread named "Discourage
>> cvs-import (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070222) FESCO meeting)".
>
> Is using cvs-import for updating a package really discouraged?

 From the discussion I was pointed to it seems it has to do with having
the maintainer(s) look at the diffs before they commit anything, and
cvs-import.sh possibly nuking changes other people made... Someone with
more knowledge on the topic might be able to tell us a little more or
step in if I'm wrong;

Afaics, cvs-import.sh forces me to look at a diff, so I'm not sure if
this concern is still valid/current.

-Jeroen