Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Mon Jun 16 10:57:56 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>>
>> "We try to always do the right thing, and provide only free and open
>> source
>> software." [1]
>>
>> It's simply not true and the author of that (Rahul Sundaram I
>> think--he writes it everywhere else too)
>
> Sorry. That's not me. Don't blame me unnecessarily. Besides what is the
> right thing varies depending on the context and is a subjective thing.

Ah, sorry, I took a quick look at the wiki history and saw your name there (but
didn't pin down the actual line) and from memory recalled you writing similar
stuff in lwn.net comments.

Also, I wasn't arguing about the "right thing" part of it, but the "provide
*ONLY* free and open source software" part.

To be clear: Fedora does not *ONLY* provide free and open source software, they
also ship non-free software which cannot be modified and for which the source
code isn't available to the general public. This isn't an accident or a bug,
but policy.

-Jeff