Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 17 02:11:11 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Peter Gordon wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 18:42 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> It makes sense for a company selling services[...] to apply a
>>> restrictive license to prevent others from improving the product and
>>> offering it in competition.
>>
>> What? The GPL doesn't prevent this. It *encourages* and *enables* it.
>> Have you actually _read_ the GPL?...
>
> You mean where it says, for example, that Linux and OpenSolaris can
> share the best of their features?  No, I missed that part.

This seems to be just trolling. GPL is hardly specific to Linux kernel
so I don't see why it would talk two such operating systems explicitly.
The licenses are incompatible due to a deliberate choice.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00002.html

Even if the licenses are compatible, there are other
technological/design differences in between these operating systems (at
the kernel level) preventing that from happening easily which is
actually the major issue compared to the license.

Rahul