Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Jun 18 18:02:49 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've explained that the GPL prevents me from sharing original work
>> that links to both GPL and non-GPL libraries.
>
> And I've explained that it doesn't, and asked you to cite the passage
> of the GPL that prevents you from doing it.  You haven't bothered to
> do it, and instead decided to keep insisting in this nonsensical
> claim.

Actually, he did reply to that, but perhaps you didn't see it.

He had an unfree program (the wattcp library) and GNU tar and
discovered that he wasn't allowed to ship a program that linked
these two together.  He then said, gloriously, "please don't try
to say the problem was cause by those other licenses -
they did not prevent anyone else from getting copies..."  :-)

OK Les, I promise not to say it.  However...

Andrew.