Debugging audio problems

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:32:33 UTC 2008

Is there a guide somewhere to debugging audio problems?  My son is mad
at me, because I upgraded my home machine from F8 to F9, and now the
sound is messed up on his favorite browser-based game
(http://www.runescape.com/).  F8 plays the background music and sound
effects together.  On F9, whenever a sound effect occurs, the
background music stops, and the sound effects sometimes happen several
seconds after they should have.  It's like the two audio streams are
fighting each other for control of the sound card, where they used to
play together.  I don't even know where to begin figuring out what is
going wrong.  Any advice is much appreciated.  Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/