Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:14:45 UTC 2008

2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:57:10 -0400
> walters at verbum.org ("Colin Walters") wrote:
>
>> 2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
>>

>> > This weekend at Paul's State of Fedora talk at the end of the
>> > sessions on Saturday, he mentioned several areas where Fedora
>> > really could improve. One of these areas was the help that people
>> > get on the #fedora irc channel.
>>

>> I think IRC is kind of fundamentally doomed because of the culture.
>
> Well, I agree there are issues to be overcome, but I think it's worth
> us trying to provide all the support channels we can, eventually even
> (if enough people are insane enough to want to): call in support
> (fedora talk rocks!) :)
>
>> If we want to emphasize a support medium, the forum is much nicer:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
>>
>> It has decent search (and unlike Bugzilla your forum thread won't
>> vanish from search because it's too old or got fixed, grrr)
>
> Sure, I think forums work great for some people... I would love to see

Yeah I have seen some people able to wrap their midns around it.. me I
just can't focus on the forums and my email and my IRC sessions.

> the forum people talking to the irc people talking to the mailing list
> people and each providing the support they like to provide.
> I have no real idea who runs the forum... are we likely to get them
> seeing this thread?
>
>> The live aspect of IRC is nice though; Mozilla has been doing some
>> work on live chat support which looks potentially useful:
>> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Live+Chat
>
> Yeah, that would be potentially very nice to use...
> We could point that at the #fedora channel if we can get it setup
> better.

The big issue with IRC is that when you are in crisis mode, you want
to focus on one 'thread' at a time.. and IRC ends up getting lolcat
threads with 'kernel corrupted ext3 node' in horrible ways.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux