apport/breakpad and fedora

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 23 23:08:17 UTC 2008

2008/6/23 Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com>:

> If I remember right, the reason for this part of the discussion was:
>
> 1) Linking everything on the system to breakpad is a bit nasty.
> 2) Apport doesn't need to be linked in, but it runs *after* the process
> gets dumped by the kernel. At which point it's slightly different from
> when it actually crashed.

Yeah, sounds right.

pjones' idea was to have a system service that would receive
> notification of segfaults and use utrace to stop the process and
> generate a (breakpad-style report).

He was thinking of hooking it into kerneloops, right?

(Hm, I didn't seem to have that installed on my F9 system which was upgraded
from F8...I guess this is a generic problem with new comps packages and
upgrades; need to solve that)

Though isn't there a race between when we get the kernel notification and
when the service stops it and inspects?  Not my area of expertise really,
just thinking out loud.

> It would make the 'debuginfo-install' message go away, because (if DAV +
> FUSE does the right thing) you'll have all the debuginfo you need, in
> the right place - mounted as a FUSE filesystem.

Ah, ok.

> > My 2¢ - Link in breakpad, create http://crash.fedoraproject.org
> > running Socorro.
>
> Link it into what? Everything, via LD_PRELOAD? Or just GNOME stuff? I
> thought bug-buddy already used breakpad?

I'm personally most interested in the desktop apps because, well we desktop
developers are masochists and code complex user-facing code in C/C++, and
not surprisingly they crash =)

So right now...hm, actually this is weird, I can't get any Fedora-compiled
program to spawn bug-buddy at all right now.  I get it for some local custom
code, but not for anything in /usr/bin.  I see libgnomebreakpad is linked
into the process.

I'm out of time for this issue for today, I'll investigate a bit more later.

> The latter seems like the Right Thing, but it depends on the previous
> actions. I wonder how caillon would feel about getting Firefox doing
> reports to Mozilla in the meantime.

Yeah, we should probably disable GTK+'s bug-buddy breakpad module for
Firefox for now.

>  Longer term investigate utrace system service instead of having apps
> > link to breakpad (this gets us non-desktop system crashes without
> > having to universally LD_PRELOAD or whatever).
>
> Yeah, I don't think we need to solve this until we've got the
> proof-of-concept stack: a couple of choice apps sending Breakpad reports
> (with debuginfo fetched from littlebottom) to our own Socorro instance.

Ok cool.  Should we create a feature proposal wiki page for this, or
repurpose the old Apport one?