Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 24 04:38:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:20:15 -0800
jspaleta at gmail.com ("Jeff Spaleta") wrote:

> 2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
> > - Form a 'Fedora Support' SIG to gather all the support channels
> > under one org and start up some communication channels between them.
> > Perhaps call it "Fedora HelpDesk" or "Fedora Helpers" or something
> > to prevent people from confusing it with paid support.
>
> This has been kicked around for a while now. The idea needs a leader
> to organize the space. Form the SIG and see who shows up willing to
> put in effort.

Yeah, I am willing to lead such an effort. It's past due and I am happy
to make it happen.

> > - Some way of showing who has been helpful on the IRC channel would
> > be great. Perhaps some kind of karma system where users could add
> > karma to people who are assisting and remove from those who are
> > not, then a periodic report to the channel about the active users
> > and their standing, or a pointer to a website with current stats.
> > Perhaps freenode cloaks for the folks in the SIG/group.
>
> I have a hard time envisioning how evaluate the quality of help
> without introducing significant personal bias.  Its beyond me, but
> that shouldn't stop you from finding a way to do it. I would certainly
> appreciate having a metric by which to trend.

Well, if we used some kind of karma then people who at least pleased
users would be rated up. That might mean they answered questions well,
or in a good enough manner that users were happy they were at least
being addressed.

> > - Some guidelines people could look at for the channel. What is
> > specifically supported. What is not. A list of items that will get
> > you removed from the channel. A way to address a complaint to the
> > SIG that will get mediated and checked. Specific HOWTO's or docs
> > that should be used to help users.
>
> I think this would be priority #1 for a SIG in this area.  In fact I
> think I'm in agreement with the rest of what you said, in the order
> you said it as a priority list... its been said before.  We need to
> either attempt it or we stop talking about it and move on.

I am going to attempt it. Any help welcome.

> If you want to re-use #fedora and other existing channels you'll need
> to make an effort to get the ops on those channels in on the SIG work
> to draft the guidelines.  The more of the existing ops you can have in
> the guideline formulation, and the more who affirm their personal
> commitment to the final guidelines the less of a fight we'll have when
> it comes time to do the re-org.

Agreed 100%

> -jef"If I've been voted out of office, I'll definitely be
> participating heavily in the SIG discussions."spaleta

:)

kevin